Other Opportunities: Summer 2015
Cal Teach is offering paid summer teaching and summer lab internships!
- Teaching internships (see table below) are of various lengths (1-6 weeks) and at various locations in Santa Cruz and the broader region.
- Lab internships (~6 weeks) are based at UCSC and require participation in a summer course at UC Berkeley (~9 weeks, Wednesday afternoons, June 17-August 12).
- All internships are intended to support the professional development of prospective K-12 science and math teachers.
- All interns will be mentored by a host teacher or professor at the internship location.
- Stipend amount will depend on amount of time spent in internship activities; stipends range from $450 for the one-week intensive internship to $2,000 or more for extended internships.
- Housing and transportation are NOT provided (except for full transportation and some housing support for the Cal Teach Intensive Internship in September) – you must be able to travel to the internship site reliably.
|Duration/Start date (approx.)||Location||Program name||Subjects interns will teach||Target students|
|Early summer (priority to entering UCSC MA/credential Noyce Scholars)|
|3 weeks/June 15||Cañada College, Redwood City||Canada STEM Institute||science & engineering||Rising high school sophomores|
|4 weeks/June 17||Harbor High School, Santa Cruz||Santa Cruz City Schools Algebra Bridge||math||High school students|
|4 weeks/June 22||Gonzales High School, Gonzales||Gonzales Unified School District Summer School||math||Remedial high school math students|
|3 weeks/June 29||Gavilan College, Gilroy||Trio Summer Bridge||math||Entering community college students|
|Mid- to late-summer (these may be combined with earlier internships)|
|6 weeks/July 6||San José City College, San José||Caminos Summer Bridge||math||Entering community college students|
|2 weeks/ August 3||Cañada College, Redwood City||Math Jam||math||Community college students|
|1-2 weeks/ August 4||Graniterock Headquarters, Watsonville||Bruce Woolpert Algebra Academy||math||Rising 8th graders|
|1 week/ September 14||Middle and high schools in East San Jose and Gonzales||Cal Teach Intensive Internship||math or science||Fairview Middle, James Lick High & Gonzales High School students|
TO APPLY FOR 2015 CAL TEACH TEACHING INTERNSHIPS:
Interested students, including graduates, may apply by emailing Gretchen Andreasen (email@example.com). with a subject line: APPLICATION FOR SUMMER TEACHING INTERNSHIP AT XXXXX. Your email should include brief statements (1-4 sentences for each question) explaining:
1) your availability for the dates of the program;
2) any teaching experience you have;
3) your current career goals;
4) what you think you will learn by participating in this opportunity; and
5) what you have to offer the program.
We will refer to your Cal Teach record and UCSC transcripts in evaluating your application. Interviews may be held at UCSC or the internship site.