Cal Teach Intensive Internships
Cal Teach offers a week-long intensive internship before the UCSC academic year begins. This internship is open to new and continuing Cal Teach interns; each continuing intern serves as a mentor to a new intern. They provide a week-long experience in a high-need rural or urban school, and require participants to be available for up eight consecutive hours each day of the internship week. See below for the application and instructions.
Who can participate?
Continuing UCSC undergraduates (with or without previous Cal Teach experience), incoming UCSC transfer students, and college graduates with academic or professional training in science, mathematics, or engineering are all welcome to apply.
Transfer students from partner campuses* will apply as National Science Foundation (NSF) Noyce Transfer Scholars and be eligible to apply for NSF Noyce scholarships and Super-Scholarships.
What is expected of Intensive Interns?
An intensive intern must:
- be interested in a K-12 science or math teaching career and have appropriate science or math background
- be available all five consecutive full school days (eight hours each day, Monday-Friday)
- be able to commute to participating schools (e.g., James Lick High School, Gonzales High School, Fairview Middle School) by public transportation, personal vehicle, or Cal Teach carpool
- document negative TB status and pass a background check before the internship
What are the benefits?
Intensive internship participants will:
- learn how teachers and schools support high-need students in the partner schools
- work closely with a mentor teacher
- work closely with a motivated cohort of future math and science teachers
- earn a $450 stipend and support for transportation to and from the school sites
- be reimbursed for TB testing and have fingerprinting costs covered
Program Dates: September 18-22, 2017
There are three parts to the application:
Intensive Internship Application Form
Email unofficial transcripts to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for continuing UCSC students: April 19, 2017
Deadline for incoming transfer students to UCSC: June 1, 2017
Intensive Internship Application Form:
The Intensive Internship Application Form is a google form with short response questions (1-2 paragraph answers for each question). Make sure to have well thought out responses before submitting the form.
In addition to the Intensive Internship Applicaiton form be sure to submit your unofficial transcripts to email@example.com. Please format your transcript files as PDFs and and title them as Last Name, First Name_Quarter_Year. Obtaining your UCSC unofficial transcript.
Send the Cal Teach recommendation Form link to a present or past supervisor, professor, teacher, advisor or tutor. When requesting your recommendation give your recommender the link and inform them that there is no need for a letter.
If you have any questions feel free to contact the Cal Teach office at: