Current Host Teacher Resources
If you are a middle or high school math or science teacher in the Santa Cruz region and would like to become part of the Cal Teach at UCSC community we would love to have your support as a host teacher. If you have other ideas for partnership with UCSC's Cal Teach program, we would love to hear them.
Support Cal Teach as a Host Teacher
A host teacher interacts directly with the UCSC Cal Teach undergraduate students. They help the undergraduate students get a complete picture of what a career in teaching consists of. A host teacher takes in 1- 3 Cal Teach interns into their science and/or math class in an academic quarter (10 weeks). Based on the level of the intern (CaT1, CaT2, CaT3, or CaT4) the host teacher is expected to fulfill similar expectations.
Host Teacher Benefits
- Stipend amount ranging from $150 - $400
- Mentoring future generation of science & math teachers.
- College student as a role model for your students.
- Another adult set of eyes in your classroom.
- An extra resource for struggling students.
Host Teacher Expectations: CaT1
- Host a Cal Teach UCSC student intern 2 days/week for 2-3hrs.
- Allow 10-15 minutes/week for one-on-one discussion. (Usually before class, after class or in a prep period.)
- Provide student feedback via Intern Evaluation Form.
- Provide on going feedback and mentoring for interns throughout the internship.
- Develop intern roles in your classroom.
Host Teacher Expectations: CaT2, CaT3, and CaT4
In addition to the CaT1 expectations a CaT2, CaT3, and CaT4 host teacher must also:
- provide intern at least one teaching opportunity in your classroom.
- guide interns in developing individual lesson plans.
- provide lesson feedback via Lesson Evaluation Form.
If you are interested in becoming a host teacher please contact:
|Phone: (831) 459-1929|